Speak With An Attorney Today  443-377-3043

Speak With An Attorney Today

Let The Law Work For You

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » Modifications Of Orders

Life Changes May Require Modifying Existing Orders

When individuals’ personal and economic circumstances change substantially, so can the terms of their divorce.

The Law Office of Christine Saverda Nielson, P.A., in Towson, Maryland, assists clients throughout the Baltimore area who need to alter their obligations in light of changing circumstances or to enforce current obligations when proposed changes lack merit.

To learn more about receiving or contesting a modification, contact us at 443-377-3043 to schedule a consultation.

What Does It Take To Obtain A Post-Decree Modification?

The following are a few of the many reasons that Maryland courts recognize for changing custody arrangements, family support and other obligations:

  • Custody: You obtain a job out of state and you wish to relocate with your child or retain access to your child.
  • Child support and alimony: You lost a job and cannot afford to pay as much as before, or your ex-spouse has received a substantial payment that should be reflected by an increase in your alimony or child support payments.
  • Child visitation or parenting time: You successfully completed a treatment program and wish to increase your role in your child’s life.
  • Child safety: Your co-parent is violent toward you or your child and/or associates with people who can cause harm to your child.

Ready To Work Hard For You

Sometimes a proposed change is not in the best interests of a child. Other times, a change can bring great benefit. In Maryland, as in most states, judges consider the best interests of the child when evaluating requests for custody and support modifications. In situations that concern only alimony, the changes in each party’s circumstances are reviewed.

Additionally, when a parent or former spouse fails to pay child support or alimony or refuses to share custody, the court can require the person to obey the order or declare him or her in contempt of court — a result that carries severe penalties, including possible time behind bars.

Whether you seek to modify a court order, prevent a modification from happening or see that your present orders are protected and complied with, lawyer Christine Saverda Nielson will hear your concerns and advocate for your goals with assertiveness and tenacity.

A graduate of Yale Law School, she is a former federal agent with the U.S. Treasury’s Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. She has also represented family law clients in the Baltimore metropolitan area for more than 15 years.

Contact Us For Answers And Advocacy

For a consultation with an experienced modifications attorney, contact the firm online or by calling 443-377-3043.